Recipe by kusum gupta
'Tandoori' means from the oven. This dish fits the busy lifestyle perfectly, especially when you have to make larger quantities. The baked look is very appealing too. Use frozen veggies as desired. You may make it in advance and refrigerate. (From the cookbook 'Recipes with a Spice - Indian Cuisine for Balanced Nutrition')
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made this for lunch y'day. I did have alot of problem, though. After baking the veggies for 30 minutes, covered, at 400F, they were still not tender. I was short on time and I had to transfer all the veggies and spice mixture to a skillet, add 2 cups of water and cook till done. I garnished it with fresh corriander leaves and sliced tomatoes- it looked very appealing and nice. The taste of this dish was very nice(my dad wants to have it again, very soon, he said); it's just the cooking time and temperature that went wrong. If anyone tries this in the oven, please do put in your review the amount of time you baked this for and the temperature as well, so it could help others who would want to try this in future.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower
- 1 cup green beans
- 3 bell peppers
- 1⁄2 eggplant
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed green chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and peel (or scrub) the potatoes.
- Cut into small pieces and microwave them, covered, for about 6 minutes until half cooked.
- Prepare and cut all other vegetables into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Sauté cumin seeds, garlic and onions; stir until onions are translucent.
- Put the potatoes and vegetables in a large baking dish.
- Mix in the sautéed spices and the remaining seasonings (except garam masala).
- Bake covered at 400°F until the vegetables are tender (about ½ hour).
- (Stir the vegetables in between and sprinkle water if necessary.) Bake uncovered at 450°F for another 10 minutes to get a roasted look.
- Stir in garam masala.
- Garnish as desired and serve.
- Variation: Stir in 1 tablespoon of butter or clarified butter (ghee) for flavor before serving.
- Microwave Method: Cook the vegetables in the microwave oven, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Then combine everything else and put in the oven as in step 4 for a roasted look.
- Healthy Alternative: Add a chopped tomato towards the end.