Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cornbread with a layer of mushrooms and swiss in the middle topped with chunks of chicken or turkey in a cream sauce. Great one-dish meal.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients for corn bread.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together buttermilk, honey, egg, butter and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; mix well.
- Spread half the batter in a buttered 8"x8" baking dish.
- Top with mushrooms and remaining cheese, then cover with remaining corn bread batter.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes (until golden brown).
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and blend in flour.
- Add milk, stirring constantly over medium-high heat, until mixture thickens and boils.
- In a seperate bowl, blend 3/4 cup sauce into egg yolks.
- Return mixture to sauce.
- Stir in chunks of cooked chicken or turkey; warm until heated throughout.
- Cut corn bread into squares, and top with cream sauce.
A beautiful dish that's a great way to use leftover turkey.