Recipe by mydesigirl
I got this from the internet--from someone who got it from Southern Living. I made it for Thanksgiving and my family just about licked the bowl clean! Really delicious!
Top Review by heartlandmom
I've made this many times for potluck dinners and at home. We always enjoy it. It is great for those times when you can't decide between mashed or sweet potatoes, and a refreshing change from the sickeningly-sweet sweet potato casseroles. I would never use this much salt in a dish for health reasons, but otherwise make it according to the original recipe.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweet potatoes in syrup, drained & mashed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- crumbled bacon, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil. Cook 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes to pan. Add sweet potatoes and cream cheese. Mush until smooth with potato masher. Stir in bacon, next 3 ingredients, remaining 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Spoon mixture into lightly greased 11x7-inch baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with the rest of the bacon.