After moving to Texas from the north, I was introduced to baked sweet potatoes as a side dish, a nice change from the usual baking potato. These are "baked" in the microwave, a real time-saver!
- Try this method for toasting the pecans: Sprinkle chopped pecans on a paper plate and microwave on high for 1 or 2 minutes, they should smell toasted when they are done.
- Scrub, but do not peel, the potatoes.
- Pierce them in several places with a fork.
- Microwave on HIGH for 12 minutes until done.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter, sugar, and pecans.
- Once potatoes are done, slice length wise, about 2/3 of the way down (do not cut through) and push end toward each other to "fluff" the potato and create a well for the butter.
- Place a scoop of butter mixture into the center and wrap in foil until serving.