Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This fabulous sweet potato dish is a must with a roast chicken or turkey dinner, but just as good with beef also. Recipe can easily be doubled to serve more than 6 people. This recipe can be completely made in advance to be baked later.
- 2267.96 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste, I use 1 tsp.)
- 473.18 ml orange juice
- 73.94 ml butter
- 9.85 ml orange zest
- 1 orange, thinly sliced (optional)
- Prepare and butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Arrange the potato slices overlapping in rows in the baking dish; set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in orange juice until well blended; bring to a boil, and cook stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add in butter, and orange peel, and mix until butter has melted.
- Pour over the sweet potatoes in the baking dish (at this point you can cover and set aside until ready to bake later on).
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake covered for about 45-50 minutes.
- Uncover and baste with sauce, then bake (uncovered) for another 15-20 minutes, or until the potato slices are cooked to desied tenderness (this might take more than 20 minutes).
- When serving, arrange the orange slices around the dish if desired.