Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Talk about livening up your sweet potato fries...I can't think of a more delicious way to eat them. Recipe courtesy of Confections of a Foodie Bride. I found there was a lot of sauce leftover for the next batch of sweet potato fries.
For the chipotle ranch dressing
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (low fat is fine)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream (low fat is fine or replace half with Greek yogurt)
- 2 -3 chipotle peppers (canned with 1 tbsp sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 c- 1/2 c buttermilk (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons coconut oil (any oil)
For the sweet potato fries
- 1 lb sweet potato (2 medium, no longer than 5 or 6 inches long)
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- To make dressing: Place all ingredients except the buttermilk in the blender. Blend for 10 seconds. Check consistency and blend in buttermilk (less buttermilk for dipping, more for dressing). Store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for a week or more.
- To make the fries: Coat a baking sheet with 3 tablespoons of oil, adding the last tablespoon if necessary.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch sticks (no longer than 5 inches long).
- In a large zipper bag mix the dry spices together. (I skipped the zipper bag and mixed everything in a large bowl). Add the sweet potato fries and shake the fries to coat evenly (I added a tad bit of oil to the fries in the bowl and the spices stuck nicely).
- Carefully put the fries onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Turn on the broiler for the last 1 to 2 minutes, just until the tips of the fries begin to turn black. Don't walk away--they can burn in no time.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate in a single layer until ready to serve. (I also skipped the paper towel because they weren't greasy and I thought it was unnecessary. Plus they disappeared so fast that was a pointless step in my opinion.).