Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
A delicious main course that is full of flavor, but minus the cheese, egg and frying pan! It is a bit messy to make, but you can make ahead and freeze. Sweet potato is enhanced with cashews and nutritional yeast to make a super savory (almost cheesy) flavor. Then it's wrapped in risotto and rolled in bread crumbs before baking. Yum!
Sweet Potato Filling
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large sweet potato (12-16 oz)
- 1⁄4 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups arborio rice (dry)
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, chop and cook sweet potato in microwave until soft. About 6 minutes. Mash until creamy.
- Meanwhile, combine all other filling ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir together well.
- Using your hands, form into 24 1-inch sized balls and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in freezer to cool to make them easier to handle.
- Saute onion in large saucepan until tender. Add garlic.
- Add the dry rice and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine stir until absorbed.
- Add the broth 1/2 cup at a time. Waiting until fully absorbed between each addition. The entire process takes about 15-20 minutes. Season as desired.
- Take a frozen filling ball and wrap the risotto around it by rolling in your hands. Then roll in breadcrumbs and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Can be frozen at this point.
- Otherwise spritz with olive oil and bake at 400F for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with marinara sauce.