Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is the BEST way to eat a sweet potato. We have baked sweet potatoes with our steaks instead of Idaho potatoes. It's a nice complement to chicken and beef - or any other meat that I can think of! This can also be made on the grill or tossed in the coals if you are camping!
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake yams for 45 to 75 minutes (bigger yams take longer to cook).
- When they are done, the outside will have darkened and the inside will be soft.
- You may see liquid from the potato oozing out and charring.
- When the potato is sliced open, the inside of the skin will be charred black from the caramelizing sugar in the potato.
- This is a perfectly cooked potato.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- To serve, slice a potato down the center.
- Add two Tbs of whipped butter, then sprinkle some cinnamon/sugar over the top.
One lil' suggestion, Try brown sugar instead of granulated sugar with the sweet potatoes. We enjoy ours this way and would never go back to granulated sugar. *smiles*
Don't forget to prick the sweet potatoes a few times all over with a fork. I also put a piece of aluminum foil under each sweet potato, so that the sugar (that oozes out as the potatoes cook) doesn't drip on the racks or on the bottom of the oven and burn. (Why make more work for yourself?) Other than those "changes", this recipe is dynamite for baked sweet potatoes! Thanks, Tish, for posting! :)
Simple recipe that yields yummy results. I used honey instead of sugar and added cinnamon to taste.