Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've been making this for about 30 years and just realized I had not submitted it. I have also seen it called "Squash Dressing". It is a favorite for me DH, especially when yellow squash is in season.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs summer squash
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 large carrot, shredded fine
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) box chicken stove top stuffing mix, include the herb mix
- Boil squash in small amount of water, (I boil the onion with the squash). Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Add butter and all the other ingredients.
- Do not dilute the soup.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish and bake about 30 minutes at 350. (you can top with cheese).
I have made this with grated Zucchini, and another time with a mix of Zucchini and Yellow Squash. It's really delicious. DH said it was the best thing I ever made for him. I sautee the onion, and I don't boil the squash because when grated, it cooks just fine. Don't leave out the onion/carrot (grate them too), DO NOT leave out the herbs from the stuffing (needed for flavor) and DO add a little salt and pepper. To add a little something special, you can add 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese. Bake at 325 F for about 1 - 1.25 hours. Fabulous.
This sounds great and I am actually going to prepare it today. I hope that you are leaving our the herbs in the stove top stuffing packet. Because that is my intent Joan of Arc
This is fantastic. I did leave out the carrot.