Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This stuffing is meant to bake as a casserole. It takes a bit of time to prepare but well worth the extra effort! If you want to save a bit of time, bake the bread cubes well in advance or even a day ahead, or even weeks ahead and freeze.
- 2 (14 ounce) Italian bread, crusts removed and cut into about 3/4-inch cubes (about 15 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (can use dried)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries (or use dark raisins in place of cranberries)
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth (might use more)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Spray one or two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place half of the bread in a large bowl.
- Add in 3 tablespoons olive oil; toss to coat, then add in about 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, then toss to coat.
- Spread the bread cubes on prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining bread cubes.
- Cool on sheets then transfer to a large bowl (if you are freezing just cool to room temperature then place in freezer bags).
- In a large pot melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in onions, celery and red bell peppers; saute for about 15 minutes, or until veggies begin to brown and are tender.
- Add in chopped garlic, rosemary and oregano; stir for 1 minute.
- Add in dried cranberries and pine nuts; stir for about 2 minutes, transfer to the bowl with the bread cubes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup fresh basil 1-1/4 cups Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and lots of black pepper to taste.
- Mix in the eggs and toss with a wooden spoon.
- Add in enough broth to moisten starting with 3/4 cups; toss to combine, adding in more broth to about 1-1/4 cups (if needed).
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Butter an EXTRA large glass baking pan (large enough to hold the mixture).
- Transfer the stuffing to baking dish.
- Drizzle with melted butter, then sprinkle lightly with Parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover with buttered foil and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the top is crisp and golden brown (baking time will vary depending on the size of baking dish).