Cook1 hr 5 mins
Yet another recipe that comes from the Sunset Ideas for Cooking Vegetables, 1973, & is a recipe worth considering for the winter holidays!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & set out a shallow baking pan.
- Scrub yams well & pat dry.
- Rub each with butter or salad oil, then pierce skin with a fork & place in the baking pan.
- Bake until soft, about 30-40 minutes, OR bake at a lower temperature along with meat for about 1 hour. Remove from oven.
- While yams are cooling slightly, beat 2 egg whites until stiff, then set aside.
- When yams have cooled enough to handle, cut a slice off a side of each yam so that you can scoop out the pulp into a mixing bowl & leaving about a quarter-inch thick shell.
- To the pulp, add butter, salt & pepper & orange zest, beating to mix thoroughly.
- Fold in beaten & stiff egg whites.
- Stuff this filling back into the yam shells & sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese.
- Return to a 350 degree F oven & bake another 10-15 minutes before serving.