Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great with fresh, home grown tomatoes!
- 6 tomatoes, firm, washed, and at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice off top of tomatoes.
- Using a spoon, hollow out the tomatoes keeping around an inch of tomato "meat (or whatever its called)" around the bottom and sides.
- Discard pulp.
- Turn tomatoes upside down on paper towel to drain.
- In a saucepan, heat oil, parsley, scallions, garlic, and breadcrumbs.
- Mix together until just heated through and moist.
- Place tomatoes in well oiled casserole dish.
- Fill with stuffing.
- Top each with a tablespoon of cheese.
- Brush tomatoes with oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and tomatoes look done, baste with oil occasionally or when needed.
- Note: as many people have noted these can be very dry depending on what type of breadcrumbs you use or how long you cook them. I would recommend adjusting the amounts according to what you have read or personal preferences.
I really liked this recipe. The directions were great and it was very quick and easy to put together.It tastes very nice , I served it with a pasta dish. I think that next time I make this I will add a few sauted mushrooms for a vegetarian dish or ground meat to moisten it up a little. Made for ZWT7
These are fresh, delicious and so nice to look at! These took about 5 minutes to prepare and we all really liked the fresh garlic. I used Italian breadcrumbs and a light Swiss cheese. So good!!! I made 4 and we enjoyed these with Recipe #134742. Made for my teammate for ZWT7. Thanks tomsawyer! :)
This is a great recipe Brianna. Thank you for the clear directions and for the update regarding the reviews, that was a big help. Enjoyed every bite! They were so tasty with the swiss cheese.