Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Uses ground beef and rice... posted here so I don't lose it.
Make and share this Baked Stuffed Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2 in thick shell, scoop out and reserve pulp. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Brown ground beef and drain. Add tomato pulp, chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper and oregano, bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 40-50 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, mix well and simmer until rice is tender.
- Stuff tomatoes and place in a greased 13x9x2in baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle over tomatoes. Add water to baking dish and bake, uncovered at 375 F for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned.