Recipe by Derf
Mmmmm with rice, feta and toasted walnut stuffing, very tasty!!
Top Review by Mooneyweflyright
Great flavor combination. I was cautious about it, so served the baked squash, rice-onion mix (quantities doubled), walnuts, sugar-spices mix and cheese separately and we each layered them to our taste at the table. All eventually decided to use the full set.
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) acorn squash or 2 (1 1/2 lb) butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice (white or brown) or 1⁄2 cup long grain rice (white or brown)
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, heated (or veggie broth)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped (or pecans)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds, and place place cut side down in a roasting pan, large enough to hold halves in a single layer. Add about 3/4 cup water to pan and cover tightly with lid or a tent of foil. Bake until squash is tender, about 35 minutes. (Cut a small slice off the bottom of the squash so that it will sit upright in the roaster.).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; add rice and onion; stir well to coat evenly. Stir in broth, sugar, cinnamon stick, raisins, cloves and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium low heat about 20 minutes for white rice , or 30 minutes for brown rice. The liquid should be reduced but the riace should remain a little firm. Remove rice from heat and discard cinnamon stick.
- Stir in toasted nuts and parsley.
- When cooked, remove squash from oven and reduce heat to 350F degrees. Divide rice mixture evenly among cooked squash. Sprinkle with feta.
- Add 1/4 cup water to pan, cover roasting pan tightly with lid or tent of foil; bake stuffed squash in the centre of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.