1/4 Photos of Baked Stuffed Squash
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Mmmmm with rice, feta and toasted walnut stuffing, very tasty!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) acorn squash or 2 (1 1/2 lb) butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup basmati rice (white or brown) or 1/2 cup long grain rice (white or brown)
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, heated (or veggie broth)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped (or pecans)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- 2Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds, and place place cut side down in a roasting pan, large enough to hold halves in a single layer. Add about 3/4 cup water to pan and cover tightly with lid or a tent of foil. Bake until squash is tender, about 35 minutes. (Cut a small slice off the bottom of the squash so that it will sit upright in the roaster.).
- 3Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; add rice and onion; stir well to coat evenly. Stir in broth, sugar, cinnamon stick, raisins, cloves and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium low heat about 20 minutes for white rice , or 30 minutes for brown rice. The liquid should be reduced but the riace should remain a little firm. Remove rice from heat and discard cinnamon stick.
- 4Stir in toasted nuts and parsley.
- 5When cooked, remove squash from oven and reduce heat to 350F degrees. Divide rice mixture evenly among cooked squash. Sprinkle with feta.
- 6Add 1/4 cup water to pan, cover roasting pan tightly with lid or tent of foil; bake stuffed squash in the centre of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Squash
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.1
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.6 mg
- Sodium 399.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 9.2 g