Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Pumpkin takes a while in the oven to soften, so you have to be willing to let it bake a couple of hours, but in my opinion, it's well worth the wait.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 medium fresh pumpkin
- 1⁄2-1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet corn
- 1⁄2 cup instant barley
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 350 .
- Cut top from pumpkin and clean.
- Coat inside with butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Saute ground beef, onion, cabbage, and peppers in oil in large skillet. Drain fat.
- Add corn and barley to mix, then stuff mix into pumpkin.
- Add remaining brown sugar on top. Put on pumpkin top.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow pan with 2" of hot water. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs., or until tender.
Hi I bought a rather large pumpkin with the idea of baking it for dinner, serving 8 people. My thinking was, to possibly spice it up and use it as a side dish or possibly stuffing it full of good veggies, cheese and Italian sausage. What are your suggestions? Thanks, DonnaLee