1/1 Photo of Baked Stuffed Pork Chops and Pan Gravy
2 hrs 15 mins
I first cooked these in the early 90's when I belonged to a cooking school and they're great! Make sure your guests are hungry: this is a very hearty entree. Gratin of Yukon Gold Potatoes makes a really good side dish. I cook them with apple juice - just haven't gotten around to trying them with wine. Note: The recipe is easily modified for thinner chops by reducing the browning and baking times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices day old bread, trimmed of some crust, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark raisin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium high heat and saute the chopped onion and celery, stirring, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Gently stir in bread cubes. Add parsley, raisins, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, marjoram and pepper; toss lightly to combine. Set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F Trim excess fat from chops, reserving the fat. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a pocket in each chop, all the way to the rib. Fill each pocket with 1/4 cup stuffing; fasten together with a couple of toothpicks.
- 3Mix together the 1/4 cup flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Lightly coat the pork chops on both sides with flour mixture, reserving remaining seasoned flour for gravy.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons butter and reserved pork fat in a large skillet. Over low heat, cooking 3 at a time, brown chops well on both sides, turning with tongs, 8-10 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove each batch of browned chops to paper towels.
- 5Pour off fat from skillet, and add apple juice, white wine, cider or a combo of liquids to skillet. Stir over medium heat to dissolve browned bits. Pour into the bottom of roasting pan. Stand chops bone-side down in bottom of pan. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven 1 hour.
- 6Uncover and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove chops to platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- 7Optional Gravy: Over medium heat boil drippings, uncovered, until reduced to 1 cup. Dissolve reserved flour mixture in 1/2 cup of water. Add to drippings and bring to a boil, stirring; simmer 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Strain if necessary. Serve with chops.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Pork Chops and Pan Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.2
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.5 mg
- Sodium 1242.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 25.1 g