1/3 Photos of Baked Stuffed Polenta (Polenta Al Forno)
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe from the *Italian Cookbook 2* of the Australian Womens Weekly cookbook series admittedly requires extra work, but makes up for it w/a company-worthy outcome that is visually stunning as a main-dish when served w/an Italian salad + garlic bread. The polenta is stuffed w/salami, sun-dried tomatoes, black olives & cheese. It has 2 cooking steps, but all the prep is done in advance of the final cooking step in the oven. I have not made this recipe yet, but did simplify the recipe & prep. I am hopeful that someone among you will be open to an adventure & give it a try. Pls see my notes Re pan sizes + a 2nd stuffing option at the end of the prep. (This recipe serves 6 as a main-dish or 8 generously as a side-dish. Time does not include chilling the polenta under refrigeration for several hrs or overnite). *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups polenta
- 2 ounces butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 24 slices salami (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato (well-drained & chopped)
- 1/4 cup black olives (chopped)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese (grated & divided per Prep Step 6)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated & divided per Prep Step 6)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped & divided per Prep Step 6)
- 1In a lrg saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil & gradually whisk in the polenta. Reduce heat to simmer & cook 15 min or till very thick (while continuing to stir).
- 2Remove pan from heat & stir in butter, 1st measure of Parmesan cheese + parsley.
- 3Allow to cool slightly. Then press polenta mixture into an oiled 8 x 12-in lamington pan (See notes). Cool to rm temp & refrigerate several hrs (or overnite) till firm.
- 4Turn polenta out of pan, slice horizontally in half, return bottom half to pan & set top half aside.
- 5Evenly distribute sliced salami over the half in the pan, overlapping as necessary. Then evenly distribute the chopped tomatoes & black olives over the salami slices.
- 6Combine Mozzarella cheese, 2nd measure of Parmesan cheese & fresh basil. Spread half of this mixture over the layered salami, tomatoes & black olives.
- 7Gentle place top half of polenta over the layered ingredients & sprinkle it w/the 2nd half of the cheese & basil mixture.
- 8Bake in a hot oven (400°F) about 30 min or till heated thru. The top should be lightly browned & crisp, so place under broiler as needed. Allow to cool slightly & serve immediately.
- 9NOTES RE PAN SIZE: I do not have a lamington pan or a pan 8 x 12-in size. If made in one, the dish would be cut into 6 4x4-in square servings. I do have a 10-in rd glass baking dish that would be equal in size to the pan suggested. In this event, the dish would be cut in 6 wedge-shaped servings.
- 102nd STUFFING OPTION: As an 2nd option if you prefer, use thinly sliced prosciutto as a sub for the salami & keep all else the same.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Polenta (Polenta Al Forno)
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.2
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 133.1 mg
- Sodium 2214.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 36.0 g