Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this recipe out of Diabetic Gourmet Magazine. Can adjust ingredients for the non diabetic in your family but as written has: Exchanges: : 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
- 2 large sweet onions or 2 large Spanish onions (about 1-1/2 pounds total, peeled)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz)
- Place the onions in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the onions are partially tender, about 10- 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool; cut the onions in half crosswise.
- Scoop out the center of each onion half, leaving a 1/2" shell.
- Reserve the centers.
- If necessary, cut a small piece from the end of each onion shell so the shells will stand upright.
- Prepare a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the onion halves in one layer with non-stick pan spray.
- Place the onions in the prepared dish, hollowed sides up.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop the reserved centers of the onions.
- Saute in oil with the garlic in a medium saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, lemon juice, and pepper; cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs and cheese Fill the onion shells with the spinach mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Just tried this for the first time tonight. Absolutely delicious! Printed recipe and will make often, I'm sure. (Left out breadcrumbs 'cause I didn't have any, which seemed to work fine.)
very good i also added a little chopped mushroom had this at dinner tonight it was a hit!