Got this recipe out of Diabetic Gourmet Magazine. Can adjust ingredients for the non diabetic in your family but as written has: Exchanges: : 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large sweet onions or 2 large Spanish onions (about 1-1/2 pounds total, peeled)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz)
- 1Place the onions in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- 2Bring to a boil and cook until the onions are partially tender, about 10- 15 minutes.
- 3Drain and cool; cut the onions in half crosswise.
- 4Scoop out the center of each onion half, leaving a 1/2" shell.
- 5Reserve the centers.
- 6If necessary, cut a small piece from the end of each onion shell so the shells will stand upright.
- 7Prepare a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the onion halves in one layer with non-stick pan spray.
- 8Place the onions in the prepared dish, hollowed sides up.
- 9Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10Chop the reserved centers of the onions.
- 11Saute in oil with the garlic in a medium saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 12Stir in the spinach, lemon juice, and pepper; cook until the liquid evaporates.
- 13Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs and cheese Fill the onion shells with the spinach mixture.
- 14Cover with foil and bake about 25 minutes.
- 15Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Onions with Spinach Feta
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.5
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.3 mg
- Sodium 209.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.7 g