Recipe by - Carla -
This recipe was adopted by me in February 2005 - I have revised this recipe to that of my mother's (a certified chef). It is always a favorite in our home for parties and holiday gatherings and I hope you enjoy it too.
Top Review by Milla
good flavor in this recipe but something was amiss. i'll omit the lime juice next time and maybe throw in a drop of worcheshire instead. i stuffed the filling into two huge portabello mushrooms, sprinkled the cheese on top and popped it into the oven: 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- 24 medium mushrooms, cleaned
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup cooked bacon, drained & finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, finely shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove mushroom stems from mushrooms; chop enough stems to measure 1/4 cup.
- Place mushroom caps on a buttered baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium skillet sauté the chopped stems, onions, and garlic in oil.
- Mix bread crumbs, bacon, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter and white wine to the skillet and mix well.
- Shape mushroom mixture into 24 balls; mold each into the mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350°F.