- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked white rice or 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 2⁄3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 -6 green bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onion and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and beef, cook beef until no longer pink, breaking up meat with a spoon.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beans and corn.
- Add turkey mixture and 1 cup of cheese, mix to combine.
- Spoon stuffing into pepper halves and place in a baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the bottom of the dish, cover with foil and bake 30-40 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Remove foil, top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted.