Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A southwest version with black beans and corn. The peppers are sliced lenghtwise for quicker cooking.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked white rice or 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 2⁄3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 -6 green bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onion and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and beef, cook beef until no longer pink, breaking up meat with a spoon.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beans and corn.
- Add turkey mixture and 1 cup of cheese, mix to combine.
- Spoon stuffing into pepper halves and place in a baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the bottom of the dish, cover with foil and bake 30-40 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Remove foil, top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
Added 1 TBS of Cholula otherwise followed recipe. Very good. My wife and kids enjoyed them. This recipe will be in the rotation from now on.
Didn't think I would enjoy this recipe as much as I did! :) I am used to making stuffed peppers with lots of tomato sauce!!! This turned out so tasty!! Used basmati rice and ground beef. Thanks Lorac!
this was great! and my boyfriend can't get enough of it, thanks for such a great recipe