Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy to make Stuffed Cabbage recipe. The Recipe comes from "The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes".
- 8 large green cabbage leaves
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, prepare a flat baking dish or casserole with nonstick pan spray.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves by immersing them in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute; drain and pat the leaves dry.
- Combine the beef, onion, parsley,salt, thyme,garlic, and pepper,Mix Well, Divide the meat into 8 equal portions on the cabbage leaves;Roll or fold the leaves around filling; Secure each cabbage roll with wooden toothpicks.
- Place the rolls seam side down in the prepares baking dish; pour tomato sauce over the rolls; bake, covered 50 to 60 minutes.
This was super - I took HeartDefects advice and added a 1/2 a cup of rice as well as diced red pepper, and a dollop of ketchup and mustard. We throughly enjoyed these and I look forward to making them again in the near future - thank you for Posting!
I made this recipe today and changed it up just a little. Instead of using ground beef, I substituted Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef. In addition, I sautéed 1 large garlic clove in olive oil, then added 1/2 chopped onion and a few carrots that I chopped into very small pieces. Then I added the Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef. When all those ingredients were cooked together, I added cooked brown rice along with a small amount of homemade tomato sauce. The cabbage leaves were prepared as instructed from the recipe. A small dollop of tomato sauce on each stuffed cabbage and a few pieces of shaved Parmesan cheese. Dinner is served!
I added brown rice & some tomato soup to the inner mixture and made my own tomato sauce. Pretty good for a first time trying to make stuffed cabbage!