1/4 Photos of Baked Stuffed Bell Peppers
2 hrs 15 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
There are so many recipes for Baked Stuffed Peppers - each a little different, each bringing something a little different to the dinner table. This is the recipe I learned from my mother. A meal in itself I generally serve 1 stuffed pepper "half" per person along with freshly baked French bread and a tossed salad, for those with healthier appetites you can of course serve 2 "halves" per person. I like to use red and or yellow peppers over the green - I find the red/yellow peppers to be a bit sweeter. These can also be made ahead and frozen for OAMC - when ready to use simply thaw overnight in the fridge and bake as directed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 red peppers, halved, seeds & membranes removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 pepper, minced (any color)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/8 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- plain spaghetti sauce (jarred or homemade)
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large bowl combine ground beef, cooked rice, minced pepper, minced onion, minced garlic, Italian seasonings, beaten egg, breadcrumbs and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- 3Use your hands to mix ingredients well.
- 4Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup - measure out a 1/2 cup meat mixture for each halved pepper and fill.
- 5*At this point, if you are using this recipe for OAMC you can wrap your peppers in saranwrap, then place them in a zip-lock bag and store them in the freezer for later use.*.
- 6Place peppers in a baking dish and cover with your favorite jarred or homemade spaghetti sauce (about 1 cup per pepper half).
- 7Cover and allow to cook 90 minutes (Please note that I have only ever made 4 halves at one time - so the cooking time could be longer if making 6 or more at the same time.).
- 8After 90 minutes, check to see how far along the peppers are cooked; if they are nearly done uncover and baste with some of the spaghetti sauce from the baking dish (as mentioned above, if baking many peppers all at one time there is the possibility that they will not be as far along at this point - please continue to bake covered an additional 30 to 45 minutes and then proceed with the following instructions.).
- 9Bake an additional 20 minutes then top each pepper half with shredded cheese and continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes.
- 10Serve along side freshly baked bread and a salad, enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.6
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 123.6 mg
- Sodium 164.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 25.8 g