Recipe by - Carla -
There are so many recipes for Baked Stuffed Peppers - each a little different, each bringing something a little different to the dinner table. This is the recipe I learned from my mother. A meal in itself I generally serve 1 stuffed pepper "half" per person along with freshly baked French bread and a tossed salad, for those with healthier appetites you can of course serve 2 "halves" per person. I like to use red and or yellow peppers over the green - I find the red/yellow peppers to be a bit sweeter. These can also be made ahead and frozen for OAMC - when ready to use simply thaw overnight in the fridge and bake as directed.
Top Review by Riverside Len
This was very good. I added a 1/4 cup of grated parm cheese and a couple of shakes of worcestershire sauce. I baked it covered for 1 hour and then checked for doneness with an instant read thermometer, they were done at that point. Then I upped the oven to 425 and topped the peppers with sauce and grated parm, returned it to the oven for about 10 minutes. I didn't use cheddar because I like my peppers to have an Italian flair to them.
- 4 red peppers, halved, seeds & membranes removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 pepper, minced (any color)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄8 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- plain spaghetti sauce (jarred or homemade)
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, cooked rice, minced pepper, minced onion, minced garlic, Italian seasonings, beaten egg, breadcrumbs and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Use your hands to mix ingredients well.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup - measure out a 1/2 cup meat mixture for each halved pepper and fill.
- *At this point, if you are using this recipe for OAMC you can wrap your peppers in saranwrap, then place them in a zip-lock bag and store them in the freezer for later use.*.
- Place peppers in a baking dish and cover with your favorite jarred or homemade spaghetti sauce (about 1 cup per pepper half).
- Cover and allow to cook 90 minutes (Please note that I have only ever made 4 halves at one time - so the cooking time could be longer if making 6 or more at the same time.).
- After 90 minutes, check to see how far along the peppers are cooked; if they are nearly done uncover and baste with some of the spaghetti sauce from the baking dish (as mentioned above, if baking many peppers all at one time there is the possibility that they will not be as far along at this point - please continue to bake covered an additional 30 to 45 minutes and then proceed with the following instructions.).
- Bake an additional 20 minutes then top each pepper half with shredded cheese and continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve along side freshly baked bread and a salad, enjoy!