Recipe by Dancer^
These are so nice, it brights up the meal, we served it broiled chicken and roasted potatoes.
Top Review by ginko618
Great! I tried this with goat cheese instead of feta, and it was delicious. I had extra filling, so today i put the filling in the left-over bell pepper half and baked it, and it was wonderful. I enjoyed it both ways. Thanks
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise then make shallow cuts in cut side at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Brush cut sides with 1 teaspoon olive oil and place eggplants, cut-side down, on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until tender with fork, remove from oven to cool and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add garlic, onion and red pepper; sauté for one minute until tender.
- Next, add rice through tomatoes, stir together well.
- Scoop out eggplant pulp from each halve leaving 1/2-inch thick shells and set shells aside.
- Chop pulp, add to rice mixture and mix well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into eggplant shells, sprinkle with cheese, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Garnish with more fresh basil and feta cheese, if desired.