Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
These are so nice, it brights up the meal, we served it broiled chicken and roasted potatoes.
Make and share this Baked Stuffed Baby Eggplant (Aubergine) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise then make shallow cuts in cut side at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Brush cut sides with 1 teaspoon olive oil and place eggplants, cut-side down, on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until tender with fork, remove from oven to cool and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add garlic, onion and red pepper; sauté for one minute until tender.
- Next, add rice through tomatoes, stir together well.
- Scoop out eggplant pulp from each halve leaving 1/2-inch thick shells and set shells aside.
- Chop pulp, add to rice mixture and mix well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into eggplant shells, sprinkle with cheese, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Garnish with more fresh basil and feta cheese, if desired.
Great! I tried this with goat cheese instead of feta, and it was delicious. I had extra filling, so today i put the filling in the left-over bell pepper half and baked it, and it was wonderful. I enjoyed it both ways. Thanks