Recipe by MSR
Lovely beef stew cooked in the oven...can leave it on low for hours and it just gets better.
- 800 g stewing beef
- 3 large onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef gravy (prepared)
- 3 large potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel onions and cut them up (this is an easy peasy dish, doesn't matter if rings, chunks, diced -- just whatever you like) Toss them into a large pan with the butter and sugar and cook until just going soft.
- Add casserole beef (it's important to cook them together, really punches up the flavour) and cook meat through.
- While beef if cooking away peel and chop 2 of the potatoes and thinly slice the last one.
- In casserole dish add uncooked (chopped) potatoes and meat and onion mixture, cover over with the prepared gravy (to about half an inch from the top of the casserole dish.) Cover the top of dish with the sliced potatoes to cover the entire thing.
- Pop into the oven on 200°C or about 375°F until the potatoes go soft. If wanting to keep in longer, turn oven down about 140°C or 200°F and it will cook happily for hours in the oven and it just gets better.
- Serve with a nice loaf of fresh bread and butter.
- or -- if you're like my man over mashed potatoes with Yorkshire puddings!
- Optional add-ins: (not traditional lol) any root veggies are a nice, colourful addition (carrot, sweet potato, etc -- ) also a bit of A1 sauce really punches up the flavour while you're cooking the beef --.
- Also good in crock pot but just chop all 3 potatoes as it doesn't matter if you have any on top in the crock pot.
- Happy Cooking!