Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of the Zaar recipes that I adopted. I hope to prepare this one soon and will post any modifications that I make to the recipe.
- 1 lb dried lima beans
- 6 cups water
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 lbs round steaks (cut in 1-inch strips)
- 1 (18 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse beans; add 6 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Do not drain.
- After 1 hour cover, simmer 30 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain, reserve drippings.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Coat beef with flour.
- Brown beef in hot drippings, pour off excess fat.
- Stir in beans and onion.
- Combine tomato juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Pour over beans and beef mixture.
- Bake covered in 325°F oven until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve hot topped with crumbled bacon and grated cheese to taste.
I made this for lunch for DH, it's a very tasty beef dish. On step #11 it mentions onion but it is not featured in the ingredients, so I just sauteed one onion and some fresh garlic after the bacon, also I used a can of beans in place of dried. thanks DG!...Kitten:)