Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
This is one low-fat soup worth digging into!
Make and share this Baked Squash Soup With Cheddar Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash or 1 1⁄2 lbs acorn squash
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup low-fat milk
- 4 slices French bread or 4 slices Italian bread, cut 1 in thick
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese or 4 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chives or 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Halve the squash lengthwise and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp of the salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Scoop the squash from the shells and transfer the pulp to a food processor or blender. Set aside; discard the shells.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the shallots and sauté, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add the wine and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Stir in the stock, milk, and remaining 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper. Add the mixture to the food processor with the squash; whirl until puréed, working in batches if necessary.
- Divide half of the soup among four 1 1/2 cup ovenproof bowls or baking dishes. Place a slice of bread on top of each portion, then sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Top with the remaining soup and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Set the bowls on a baking sheet and bake the soup for 25 minutes or until bubbling. If you like, run the soup briefly under a preheated broiler to brown the cheese, then sprinkle with chives if desired.
- Makes 4 1 1/2 cup servings.