Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Old family favorite, been making it for years
Make and share this Baked Squash recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs yellow squash
- 2 large onions
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs
- Take the squash and onions and cut them up and cook in 1/2 cup water until tender.
- Mix and taste, be sure the consistency is thick and wet. Spread butter and sprinkle cracker crumbs to liking across the top. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 min, or until lightly browned.
Reviewed for PAC Fall 2009. I chose this recipe because my DH wanted some yellow squash. I felt the directions were a little sketchy,however, as an experienced cook, I had no problem. Perhaps an inexperienced cook may be a little confused. I sliced the squash and onions in half moon shapes and simmered in water for about 20 minutes. I also used a tempering method when adding the eggs, because I was afraid I would get scrambled eggs if I mixed the hot mixture all at once. I also toasted the almonds a little for that extra pop of flavor. That said, my family (except my picky son) loved it. It's definately a great way to use the abudant summer squash.