Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Food Network Magazine August/September 2009
- 2 ounces deli ham, finely diced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon asian chili paste with garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 14 square spring roll wrappers
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon chopped peeled ginger
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Make the spring rolls: Cook the ham in 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic and scallions; cook until fragrant, about 1 more minute.
- Toss the cabbage and carrot with the hot ham mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the crab, cilantro, chili-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, the soy sauce and vinegar; toss.
- Wrap the spring rolls.
- Pierce each roll with a skewer in a few places to prevent bursting.
- Place a rack in a baking dish and brush with vegetable oil.
- Mix the remaining 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; lightly brush on rolls.
- Place the rolls on the rack; bake until golden on top, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the rolls; bake until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with the warm spring rolls.