Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have made this dish omitted the sausage completely and it was still very good --- You can sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese instead of the Parmesan cheese the last 10 minutes of baking, just return to oven uncovered. To save time the sauce mixture can be prepared up to a day ahead.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 3 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (lightly drained, DO NOT squeeze out the moisture with you hands)
- 1⁄4 cup purchased pesto sauce
- 3 cups cooked penne pasta (measure 3 cups already cooked)
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, drained
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed small
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the sausage meat, onions and garlic with the dryed red pepper flakes (if using) saute for about 10-12 minutes breaking up the meat with a fork.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice and the canned mushrooms; simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the prepared pesto; stir to combine, season with salt and pepper.
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked pasta, spinach, mozzeralla and 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can use less then 3/4 cup if desired).
- Add in the hot prepared tomato/sausage mixture; mix to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake about 30 minutes.
This was an easy, yummy dish. I thought I had pesto but out of luck. I used some spaghetti sauce instead. It was great. I will edit my review when I try this dish again with pesto. Thx!
This was the hit at our super bowl party. Very Tasty and easy to prepare.