Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in butter until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook a few minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in crumbs, eggs and salt.
- Set aside.
- Place tomato halves, cut side up in a 13x9 baking dish (if necessary, cut a thin slice from bottom of each tomato so it stands upright).
- Mound a scant 1/2 cup of the spinach mixture onto each half.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Great appearance, lovely way to serve spinach (even spinach haters will love this recipe). Great flavor with the garlic onion tomato & spinach, Followed the recipe but cut back to 1 egg and sprinkled the top with parmesan cheese - A winner Kim Thanks for posting
These were very good!! I scaled the recipe to half, just 2 tomatoes, 4 halves, except doubled the garlic and we also sprinkled parmesan on top. Great way to serve tomatoes and spinach, we will certainly do these again!! thanks for sharing.
We are really coming to like stuffed tomatoes, these were no exception. I was generous with the stuffing, and hollowed out a good bit of the tomatoes to make room for the spinach! Easily prepared and good to eat, a hit! Thanks Kim! Made for Lucky 13 Vegetarian Swap