Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My duaghter prepared this dip for Easter and it was a huge hit! You can use low-fat cream cheese, mayonnaise, 2% cheddar cheese and low salt bacon, if watching fat and salt. Although the original recipe (from jujuskitchen) calls for bacon, it tastes great without it.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- Combine cream cheese and mayonnaise. Stir in the spinach, cheese, cooked bacon, onion, dill and garlic; set aside.
- Cut a 1-1/2-inch slice off top of the bread; save. Hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Cube removed bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 minutes or until brown.
- Fill bread with spinach mixture; replace the top. Wrap bread in heavy foil and place on a baking sheet. Whatever does not fit save for another time or put in a small casserole and bake along with the wrapped bread. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Serve with vegetables of your choice and the leftover bread.