Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have a problem with my middle child eating vegetables. He seems to have an aversion to 'green'. This is one way to get him to eat his spinach and the whole family loves it, too.
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (1/2 lb) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 inch glass pie plate.
- Combine the eggs, bread crumbs, cream cheese, salt and nutmeg and stir in spinach, half and half and Cheddar.
- Transfer spinach mixture to pie plate and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set and puffed slightly.
- Note: I sometimes fry up a few rashers of bacon until crisp, drain and crumble them into the spinach mixture.
I make this all the time and my whole family loves it!! I use fresh spinach, cook it and then chop it up and mix with other ingredients. I also double the recipe every time because it is such a hit and everyone always wants more. Thank you for giving me a way to pack in a lot of spinach in a little serving!!!!
I substituted light cream cheese, added 2 cloves of crushed garlic, and used garlic herb flavored bread crumbs. The result was a very tasty and not a bit bland! I'll agree with the another comment and say make sure the cream cheese is softened and then well mixed otherwise you end up with globs of cream cheese here and there.
This was good but a little bland. It could of had a little more of some type of spice, maybe a dash of red hot or some garlic. It could wonderful and looked delicious. I will try again!