This is a delicious and spicy appetizer that does not contain all the calories of the usual fried cousins you find in a restaurant.
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten till frothy
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat to 425F degrees.
- Spray a heavy baking sheet liberally with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a small bowl place cornstarch.
- In a 2nd small bowl whisk together egg, salt and hot sauce.
- In a 3rd bowl, mix together cornmeal, panko crumbs, chili powder and cayenne powder.
- Dredge the chicken strips in the cornstarch, then into the egg mixture, allowing egg to drip off.
- Dredge chicken in the cornmeal/bread crumb mixture, coating well.
- Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake 15 minutes till crispy.
- Blend honey and mustard together till smooth and serve with chicken tenders.