1/2 Photos of Baked Spiced Sweet Potatoes and Pears (Creole)
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe was found on the internet at gumbopages.com. The original recipe called for peeling the sweet potatoes, but I much prefer them unpeeled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup cane syrup
- 1/2 cup pear nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 4 large bartlett pears, crisp, peeled halved, cored & cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & butter a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
- 2In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir butter, cane syrup, pear nectar, vanilla, Bourbon & OJ until butter melts.
- 3Increase heat & boil until mixture is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes, then remove from heat & whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg & salt.
- 4Arrange1/3 of the potato slices in the prepared baking dish, then top with half of the pear slices, & then with another 1/3 of the potato slices. Finally, arrange the remaining slices of potato & pear on top & on their edge, alternating potato & pear, & overlapping slightly.
- 5Sprinkle lightly with salt, then pour the cane syrup mixture over everything.
- 6Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil & bake until sweet potatoes are nearly tender, about 1 hour.
- 7Uncover & bake until completely tender, basting occasionally with the syrup, for about 20-30 minutes longer, checking with a toothpick or knife point to make sure the potatoes are completely tender.
- 8Spoon the syrup over the sweet potatoes & pears one last time & serve hot.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Spiced Sweet Potatoes and Pears (Creole)
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.6
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 172.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 1.2 g