Recipe by ladypit
This is a "Cooking Light" recipe that uses spelt (also called farro in some places). I've been looking for recipes using old grains and this one sounds really good!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked spelt, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- cooking spray
- 1 dash cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the spelt in a medium pan, cover it and go 2 inches above it with water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Cook it for 2 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Cover and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Drain the spelt.
- Put it in a food processor and process it for 45 seconds or until it looks like coarse meal.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Mix the spelt, the milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, and vanilla in a 2 quart dish that you have sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 3.5 hours.
- Stir it every hour to make sure that a skin doesn't form on the top.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle it with cinnamon.
- Serve it warm or cold.