Prep 8 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hearty supper! A favorite here.
- 3 lbs spareribs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut (undrained)
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oven to 450°F degrees.
- Cut ribs into serving pieces.
- Place in 13x9-inch pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350°F degrees.
- Remove ribs; drain fat from pan.
- In same pan, combine sauerkraut, sugar, apples, onion, and water.
- Spread it all out evenly.
- Put ribs on top; bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hrs, stirring occasionally.
I love ribs with sauerkraut & apple. I used already cooked ribs so I put the apples & kraut over the cut pieces of ribs, covered them with foil and baked them at 350 for 1 Hour. Fall off the bone moist & delicious
Thank you so much for posting your great recipe! My family really enjoyed it. I didn't have as much sauerkraut as it called for but it was still super. I'm putting this in my tried and true file and will certainly make it again.
This is simply the best spareribs and sauerkraut recipe I have ever made!! I had been making them the way my German mother-in-law did on to of the stove and I would end up with soupy kraut and mushy meat. This kraut is so flavorful and the meat is wonderfully roasted. I did rinse my kraut and added more brown sugar and cooked closer to 2 hours. Thank you for this winner of a recipe.