Recipe by mollypaul
A rib-sticking, easy comfort meal from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
Top Review by MoreWithLessMom
Super good. Good tang without being too strong, I find a lot of sauerkrauts too much for me. I used canned sauerkraut and did not drain it. My dumplings were very dense, but good. Very easy throw in a pan dinner. I served with latkes.
- 3 lbs spareribs
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- salt and pepper
Lancaster Egg Dumplings
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut spareribs into serving portions, season and place in a roasting pan.
- Add sauerkraut, cover and bake at 350F for 90 minutes.
- To make the dumplings, sift dry ingredients together very well.
- Add egg to milk and stir into flour to form a smooth batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto sauerkraut.
- Cover pan tightly and finish baking for 30 minutes.