This "kicked up" rice dish is a family favorite. If you have some saffron threads, add in a good pinch for even extra flavor. Make certain to use only converted rice for this recipe. If you do not like it spicy then use only a pinch or omit completely.
- 2 cups uncle ben's converted white rice
- 2 medium onions, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, coarsley chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice (try to use Italian-style tomatoes or similar they have more flavor than the regular)
- seasoning salt (can use regular salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use more if you like spicy)
- 1 cup sliced large pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (do not thaw)
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- In a oven-proof Dutch oven or a large frypan with an oven proof tight fitting lid, melt the butter.
- Saute the onions, garlic, celery and green pepper until soft (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add in the converted rice and mix with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes.
- Carefully add in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes (with juice) along with all the remaining ingredients; stir to combine, and simmer on top of the stove on low heat for 5-6 minutes (just long enough for the mixture to boil).
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover with an oven-proof tight fitting lid and place in oven to cook for about 30-35 minutes or until the rice is at desired tenderness.
- Fluff with a fork.