Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I adapted this from a Light & Tasty cookbook. It was so delicious that I had to put it in the fridge before it was cool just to stop myself from eating it all! For WWers, this works to 6 points per serving. I use Ragu No Sugar Added Tomato & Basil sauce to keep the calorie/fat content as low as possible. Note: WW has changed their points system several times since this is posted, and you should recalculate the points by the current system.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and garlic. Drain fat. Add spaghetti sauce and heat through.
- Meanwhile, combine cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella, and 1/4 cup parmesan.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, layer 1 cup of meat mixture, half the spaghetti, half the cheese, and half the remaining meat mixture. Repeat layers. Dish will be very full.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Uncover and add remaining cheeses. Bake an addition 10 minutes.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
This seems like a great recipe, but I'm not sure I would label it "Weight Watchers Friendly". According to the nutritional information provided, this would be 12.6 "regular" points (not PointsPlus). And 21.4 g of fat per serving (33% of your daily value!) is pretty high. I'm sure this would be great if you weren't trying to watch your waistline!
I went into this recipe knowing I was going to have a lot and I'm happy about that as I can freeze half and use the other for dinner. Very simple to prepare. Only change I made was to sub in ricotta cheese in place of the cottage cheese as a personal preference. Loved the lightness of this dish compared to a lasagna for a nice change of pace. Made for Help a Naked Recipe in the Photo Forum.
Great recipe. Really a lot of food for the points and reheats very well. Almost better the second day. Will be making on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing!