Recipe by Dotty2
A recipe that is enjoyed at out house. Great flavor and very healthy. Have an extra serving and you need not feel guilty. Accompanied with a salad and a crusty roll makes for a complete meal.
Top Review by pattiathome_10905365
Delicious and oh so easy. I make variations of this using different spices. A tip for cutting large squash: Poke holes in the squash with the end of a knife and microwave on high for 3 minutes. This softens the skin and makes it much easier to cut and seed.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancan Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place squash on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat ,cool and shred with a fork.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°F.
- Lightly grease casserole dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown and cook chicken pieces; add peppers, onion and garlic.
- Continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Mix the shredded squash and tomatoes into the skillet; add spices.
- Cook and stir until heated through.
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in 2 cups cheese until melted.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and then continue baking 5 minutes until cheese is melted.