Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A recipe that is enjoyed at out house. Great flavor and very healthy. Have an extra serving and you need not feel guilty. Accompanied with a salad and a crusty roll makes for a complete meal.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancan Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place squash on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat ,cool and shred with a fork.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°F.
- Lightly grease casserole dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown and cook chicken pieces; add peppers, onion and garlic.
- Continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Mix the shredded squash and tomatoes into the skillet; add spices.
- Cook and stir until heated through.
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in 2 cups cheese until melted.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and then continue baking 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Delicious and oh so easy. I make variations of this using different spices. A tip for cutting large squash: Poke holes in the squash with the end of a knife and microwave on high for 3 minutes. This softens the skin and makes it much easier to cut and seed.
This was great! I substituted the tomatoes and peppers for vegetables that I like better. I also added about 1/2 cup of wine to the chicken and veggies while they cooked on the stovetop. Also, I used muenster instead of cheddar (about 1 cup), because that was what I had on hand, and I also sprinkled a bit of parmesan on top. This is going into my rotation!
Made this for a dinner party and it was a huge hit. Per one of the comments, the flavor was a little bland so I seasoned the chicken with Mrs. Dash. I made two casseroles and froze one for later. It froze well but be prepared for more moisture when it thaws and cooks. Anyhow, very good and a nice presentation! I will make it again