Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I would have never thought to use squash this way! It has great flavor and is a hearty meal. I found it on BH&G website.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs spaghetti squash, medium
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1⁄4 ounces olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups red pasta sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Halve squash crosswise; remove seeds.
- Place cut sides down in a 2 qt rectangular baking dish, add 1/4 c water, cover with ventilated plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH for 10-15 minutes or until squash separates when pierced with a fork. Rearrange once for even baking. DO NOT over cook squash or it will be mushy.
- In a large skillet cook sausage, mushrooms, pepper, onion and garlic over med heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scape pulp from squash (about 3 c) wipe out baking dish and coat with nonstick spray.
- Spread half the squash in dish, add half the sausage mixture and half the olives.
- Sprinkle with seasoning and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Top with half the sauce and half the cheese.
- Top with remaining squash, sausage, olives and sauce.
- Bake for 30 min, sprinkle with remaining cheese, bake for 5 more min or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is a great recipe. I made my own italian sausage with lean ground pork, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes (see in my reviews "italian sausages"). I used a jar of parmesan and romano sauce. The flavors of this dish is so good. Thanks Rollin in the Dough :) Made for Healthy tag game