Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so good. My whole family loves it, including my picky 10 year old daughter. I got this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens magazine.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 1/4 lb)
- 12 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) canchopped black olives, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Halve squash crosswise; remove seeds. Place cut sides down in 2-quart baking dish. Add 1/4 C water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high 13-15 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with fork; rearrange once for even baking.
- In a large skillet cook sausage, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; stir to break up sausage. Drain off fat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrape pulp from squash. Wipe out baking dish; coat with non-stick cooking spray. Spread half of the squash in dish. Add half the sausage mixture and half the olives. Sprinkle with seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Top with half of the spaghetti sauce and cheese. Top with remaining squash, sausage, olives, and spaghetti sauce. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Loved this recipe! I really like spaghetti sqaush and am always looking for different ways to cook it. I pretty much followed the recipe except I used turkey sausage and I pierced and baked the sqaush whole in the oven. Thanks for a great recipe!