Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We love the Market Day Spaghetti Pie casserole. This is my own version that the kids like even better and its cheaper!
- 1 (1 lb) box angel hair pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (optional)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese (mozzarella and cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350 and PAM a 13x9 deep baking dish.
- In large skillet, brown ground beef.
- In large pot cook pasta to al dente'.
- When beef is cooked, drain and add spaghetti sauce and hot water (I always dump the water in the jar and shake it up to get the last bit of sauce out before adding to the pan).
- Add garlic and veggies and simmer about 10 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain in a colander and rinse with hot water, let sit temporarily.
- In pasta pot, melt margarine.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, then add pasta back into pan.
- Beat eggs with milk and toss with pasta mixture.
- Press pasta in pan evenly.
- Top with sauce mixture, spreading to the edges.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Top with cheeses and bake additional 15 minutes until cheese starts to melt and brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes for easier cutting.
- Cut into squares.
- This makes a lot and freezes well in individual squares for lunches.
I had only pulled a pound of hamburger so used that. I added the onion and garlic in with the hamburger. I did use two jars of spaghetti sauce as one didn't seem to be enough. I also used two cups of mozzarella cheese on top. We enjoyed this but hubby said he would have liked it more if I would have put hot sausage in with the hamburger. I will try that next time.
This is super delicious! I've made it a couple times now and the first time I made it exactly as directed and although it tasted really good I thought there was a little too much pasta. So, the next time I only used about 3/4 of the box of pasta and to me it was a perfect balance. I also put the onions and garlic in the beef while browning just because it was easier for me. :) Great recipe with easy to follow directions that I will be making again and again! Thanks Laurie!
After reading the reviews I made a few changes since we like our pasta saucy....I used 8 oz of whole wheat thin spaghetti and therefore only half of the butter, cheese, eggs, and milk but I used the full amount of veggies and sauce. I also used 1 lb of spicy italian turkey sausage instead of ground beef. I got the thumbs up from my husband so I will be making this again!