Recipe by Julie B's Hive
From the 1996 Collectors' Edition (Taste of Home) At times I make it with the ground beef, at other times I make it without. Either way, this one freezes well and is handy to have on hand.
Top Review by Texas2Georgia
My mother-in-law & I have been making this for years. It's great for potlucks and easy to change up according to what you have on hand. Made it tonight with ground chicken, extra cheese (we like it cheesy & added more water to soup to thin so that it spread more easily.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet sauté onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and oregano. Mix well. Add ground beef, if used, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of spaghetti in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with half the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the Cheddar Cheese. Repeat layers.
- Mix the soup and water until smooth, pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.