Recipe by Musical Joy
Something different, but amazingly good! This is my aunt's recipe that I've modified. She adds sugar and doesn't add any spices, but I like to spice things up. This makes a lot - you'll have plenty for leftovers! Great for potlucks too. You don't need to add this much cheese, we just prefer it (yeah, I know; not very healthy)!
Top Review by MaryMeow
This was delicious! I used a can of recipe ready tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, so I did not have to add the spices seperately. It is very, very good. A refreshing change from your ordinary baked spaghetti, the onions and bacon added lots of flavor. Thanks for a great recipe! This one is a definite keeper!!
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes or 2 cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- dried Italian spices
- crushed red pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to al dente directions.
- While pasta is cooking, cook bacon until very crisp.
- Save about 2 TBLS.
- of the bacon grease.
- Cut bacon up or break into small pieces.
- Place pasta in a large roaster.
- Brown onion and/or garlic in bacon drippings.
- Place this on top of pasta, then add tomatoes and spices.
- Mix well.
- Add cheeses to the top and mix well.
- You can save some cheese to add to the top before you bake it.
- (Not mixed in).
- Bake covered for 20 minutes at 350, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.